Monday, January 28, 2008

Staring Down the To Dos

I've been on a bit of an unexpected blog-cation (as Meg Cabot would call it). I'm going through a phase, I think, where everything seems a bit too much like work. Clean dishes? Of course that's too much work. Cooking a healthy dinner? If it takes more than 30 minutes to prep and heat, waaay too much work. Walking on the treadmill and breaking a sweat? Even at 2 MPH, too much work. Typing a coherent and interesting blog post? Yup, too much work. Even getting a good night's sleep seems like too much work these days.

I don't know what my problem is, but I can feel myself gradually coming out of it. Obviously. I'm here, aren't I? This may not be a coherent or interesting post, but at least I'm typing. I'll work on coherent and interesting later. (There's that dirty little four-letter word again.)

I guess it's probably the feeling of being overwhelmed that has me practically incapacitated. I get this way when things are coming at me from all directions. I'm trying to get myself back on track with healthier eating and an increase in exercise at the same time that I'm flooded with freelance opportunities, at the same time that I started a little experiment that I plan to write an article about, at the same time that I'm refinancing my house, at the same time that I was traveling to Minneapolis, at the same time that I'm dealing with some family stress and drama, at the same time that I'm giving up caffeine (of all things!)... The list goes on and on, and just typing that all out made my heart race and my stomach tighten. It's really been a hectic few months. Thankfully most of the activity has been positive, but that doesn't stop me from feeling like curling into a ball in the corner and waiting for it to all go away.

The good news is, I can see the light and I'm learning to tackle things in pieces rather than staring down an ever-growing pile of To Dos. Turns out it's easier that way. The big pile actually gets smaller, one check mark at a time, go figure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're in a slump. It is the time of year?

Clicky Web Analytics