Thursday, February 07, 2008

Polenta Goodness

After reading about Belinda's surprising polenta experience, I found myself wondering what all the fuss was about. I've tried polenta before and didn't really enjoy it, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to give it another chance. Belinda was so convincing, though. And after a few minutes of searching the Food Network, I found an interesting recipe for Caponata and Herb Polenta, so I went to the grocery store and got to work.

The chopping took a little longer than I would have expected, but from start to finish, I'd say it took about an hour to make. If I'd have been a bit more organized, and had a little more prep room in my kitchen, I probably could have finished it in 45 minutes. I decreased the oil used, and instead of butter I added Promise Light spread, but other than that I stuck to the recipe. I should have taken a picture, because when it was finished it looked exactly like the picture on the Food Network website. And mmm mmm mmm, was it good. The herb polenta was delicious--the rosemary and thyme gave it great flavor, and the flavor of the parmeasan cheese came through just enough without being too overpowering. The caponata was chunky and savory, providing perfect contrast to the smooth texture and light flavor of the polenta.

I'm a big fan of vegetarian meals, but even if I weren't this recipe still would have made my top 20 tasty meals list. I do wish I had noticed this was one of Rachael Ray's Double Up recipes, though, since I was only cooking for one. I now have enough caponata to feed an army. I'm glad I liked this meal, because I'll be eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next week. Either that, or I'll be making the Caponata Pasta Bake over the weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. I love polenta. That recipe sounds yummy.

nejyerf said...

freeze some of that up and mail it to me!!!

Ami said...

Dawn - You should definitely give it a try. Even after four days of leftovers, I wasn't sick of it.

Jen - I've missed you!!! I wish I could, but the polenta's long gone. And I made the Caponata Pasta Bake over the weekend to use up the rest of the veggies. I was delish, though, and I'll make sure to save you some the next time I make it.

Clicky Web Analytics