Friday, May 22, 2009

What I'll Be Doing Next Week

I'm taking a week-long vacation to spend some time with my family and friends. It has only been a few months since my trip to Arizona, and yet I feel a deep need to step way from my life here in Baltimore and enjoy some simpler things. I've mentally tallied a list of things I'm hoping to do while I'm away. It's not a to-do list so much as an if-I-feel-like-it list. I want to unwind, relax, revel in the presence of some of my favorite people—which means I want to be open to opportunities, events and experiences that might not be on this list. I also want to make time for the things I truly enjoy and don't spend enough time doing during my normally hectic and over-scheduled days.

If time and the Universe allow, I'd like to:

  • Eat a dinner alone with my mother, catching up and really BEING with one another.
  • Spend time sorting through at least one room with my father, who is preparing to sell his house.
  • Practice yoga by the lake at sunrise.
  • Write. Write. Write. Whatever strikes my fancy.
  • Read.
  • Visit my favorite parts of my hometown and journal about my experiences there.
  • Have dinner at Niagara Falls with family.
  • Take pictures of everything.
  • Notice the beauty around me.
  • Take quiet walks by myself.
  • Breathe in the clean, fresh air.
  • Work one day on The Book Proposal.
  • Be present wherever I am and whatever I am doing.
  • Watch the parade and enjoy a barbecue.
  • Run into old friends and talk like we never skipped a beat.
  • Eat mindfully and consciously.
  • Take my nephew to a movie.
As you can see, I have high hopes for my time away. No matter what is on that list, my real goal is to refresh my spirit. It's been a long winter and a hectic spring. This vacation is meant to be a cleanse of sorts, a time to reconnect to my body, mind and spirit in a way that has seemed impossible over the last several months. I think some sun, fun and family is just what my heart ordered.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. While you're enjoying parades and picnics and backyard barbecues, as I will be, please take some time to remember and recognize the sacrifices of our service men and women and their families. And take some time to reconnect with and rejuvenate yourself, as well. You deserve it.

6 comments:

Matt (No Meat Athlete) said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend, if you can get even half of that stuff accomplished. Makes me wish I had family in Arizona :) Then again, I should be happy that they're all around here.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Hope you check every single item off that list!

Kathryn Magendie said...

have a wonderful time *smiling*

Ami said...

NoMeatAthlete - I wish I was going back to AZ, but most of my family is in Upstate NY, which is where I am now. Be happy that your family is near by. :)

Angie and Kat - Thanks! I'm working on it.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're having a great time, Ami!

Lynnette Labelle said...

Your blog is working now. I think it's my computer, so don't worry about it.

My writing contest details are up.

Lynnette Labelle

http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Clicky Web Analytics