Tuesday, October 27, 2009

NaNoWriMo: I'm Doing it Again

At this time two years ago I was considering taking the leap into the world of NaNoWriMo. Eventually I decided to jump in, and came out the other side frazzled, wondering where November went, but almost 40,000 words closer to my first novel. I'm still working on that story, but this year I again found myself thinking about diving into a month of writing wildly.

I don't have a new novel idea yet, but I'm considering giving it a go anyway. If I can't come up with a fiction plot in the next four days, I might do an unofficial version of NaNo and either dedicate the month to finishing my first NaNovel or to working toward 50,000 words of the memoir I've been playing at for the last three years. Whatever I decide to do, you can be sure I'll keep you posted on my progress here.

Are any of you considering or planning to participate in NaNoWriMo? Do you have a solid plot prepared or are you planning to wing it?

10 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm doing NaNo this year for the first time. I'm somewhat nervous because I have only a vague idea of this story ... definitely no plot outline or anything like that. Still, I figure anything I write is better than nothing - and gets me that much closer to a finished novel.

Good luck - love your blog!

Ami said...

Hi, Melissa - Last time I did NaNo I didn't have a plot outline or anything, just a few characters and the inklings of a story. That worked for me, though, because I just let each scene take me into the next one and didn't worry about sticking to a plot or hitting plot points. I had hoped to be better prepared with a new story, plot outline, character sketches, etc., this time around, but I have a feeling that my first story won't let me go until I finish it.

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm really glad you commented so that I could "discover" your blog. I've added you to my favorites.

Karina said...

I've just decided today to sign up and join NaNoWriMo. I've done it a few times now, and last year was the first time I reached the 50k goal.I haven't touched that novel since last year though lol

This year I'm bending the rules and going back to my work in progress (another novel I started years ago). In a way it's almost a brand new novel because I've scrapped about 90% of it anyway, lol

Alexis Grant said...

Go Ami! I vote for the memoir.

Margo said...

I'm doing NaNoWriMo for the first time. All I have to start is a synopsis and I've started to think about it (way too much, probably - I barely slept last night). I like your idea of doing your memoir if that's what you feel geared up to do. Good luck!

Ami said...

Karina - Best of luck to you. I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress.

Alexis - Of course you do! And I'm definitely leaning toward that.

Margo - Good luck to you, too! Keep us posted on your progress. I completely understand the sleepless nights filled with excitement for your book. I'd take that as a good sign! Enjoy your first NaNo experience.

Ami said...

Hi Karen - Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. I love Alexis and her blog, too! Glad you found your way here. My first dip into fiction was with NaNo, actually, and it helped me break in by taking off the pressure of being perfect. Instead of worrying, I just wrote. Let's hope this year goes as well. Good luck on your writing!

Willow Bell said...

I'm also doing the NaNoWriMo this November. My outline is ready and my fingers are on the keyboard...

Kathryn Magendie said...

Oh, good Luck! I've never done Nano, but I did write a novel (70,000) in 30 days - of course, it was rough rough rough!

ANd this time I'm working on the deadling for Vk book 2 -

But, it sounds like so fun to be a part of something so many are a part of!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with it, whichever you do!

Clicky Web Analytics