Sunday, November 04, 2007

Weekend Update

OK, the original excitement is starting to wear off. The story is coming in a bit more disjointed manner, and the plot is developing in strange ways. The good news is, I'm still writing, albeit more slowly. The trouble is, I can see where things are headed, but getting there means coming up with side stories and sub-plots. Turns out this is not my forte. I'm working on it, though.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is my first draft. It doesn't have to work perfectly, it doesn't have to fit together like a puzzle, and it doesn't have to be wrapped up tightly with a pretty little bow. In fact, as I'm writing I'm thinking of scenes and information that probably should have come sooner in the story and I'm just writing it out as it comes to me. I can cut and paste later, right?

So here's the weekend tally: 8,662 words so far. If I've done my math correctly, that's 2,861 words this weekend. Not up to my previous daily standards, but not too bad considering I've put in some hours on freelance projects and spent some time with My Love this weekend, too.

Tomorrow, from 5PM to 8PM I'm hosting a NaNoWriMo Write-In at the Barnes & Nobel near work. I'm looking forward to meeting some other local writers and getting in at least 2 hours of solid writing time. I'll let you know how it goes.

Write on!

2 comments:

nejyerf said...

this is exciting...you allowing us to go on this writing journey with you.

i cannot wait to see where we end up.

i am so impressed that you are acutally doing this.

i was bitching and moaning to myself last night as i tried to come up with something for my sunday post. and i'm only 4 days into this writing everyday thing.

you are my hero....to paraphrase from the MOAST excellent movie "water boy" - YOU CAN DO IT WRITER GIRL!!

Ami said...

I Looooove Adam Sandler, so that paraphrase was so motivating!

I'm enjoying your daily posts, so I'm glad you're doing them.

I think that if nothing else, this process is showing me that if I sit my butt in the chair, stuff will come out and fill up those blank pages.

Clicky Web Analytics