Friday, October 12, 2007

NaNoWriMo, or Now I've Gone and Done It, or I Think I've Lost My Mind

So it's finally happened. I think I've cracked. You all know how busy I've been lately (and if you don't, you certainly should, since I can't seem to stop telling you that every time I post here, which hasn't been often enough). So imagine my surprise when I found myself clicking the "Sign Up!" link on the NaNoWriMo site. If you haven't heard of NaNoWriMo, you can learn more here, but it boils down this: I've just commited to write the first draft of a novel (that's 50,000 words) during the month of November.

Does anyone know what happens in November? There's My Love's and my 4-year anniversary during which we hope to spend a couple of days relaxing and playing a little Black Jack in Atlantic City. There's the Baltimore Writer's Conference, which means I have to brush up a non-fiction essay that I'd like to have critiqued. And of course there's Thanksgiving--I'll be spending 4 1/2 days traveling and hanging out with my family. Not to mention starting over at the New Old-Job, doing per diem work for the Current (or Old New-) Job, writing group and association meetings, and various and sundry freelance projects that seem to be flying through my windows and doors every time I open them. (Don't ask what my house looks like right now...) I'm not complaining, but I truly think I must be mad to have just signed up for a motivational "contest" of sorts during which I'm required to pound out Fifty. Thousand. Words.

I won't be disappointed if I don't reach the pinnacle, but I do think this might help me get into gear where that novel is concerned. At the absolute minimum I'd like to average a little more than 3 pages a day--90 pages total. That's doable.

Right?

Do you think My Love will mind if I lug along the laptop on our weekend getaway? Will I be able to get away from the family madness for a few hours each day over the Thanksgiving holiday? I suppose only time will tell...

Stay tuned for more on the NaNoWriMo saga.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics