Saturday, September 06, 2008

CSA Report - It Just Keeps Coming

Another week, another share. The produce just keeps coming and I'm starting to run out of places to put it all. My freezer, while bigger than the one I had last year, is still bursting at the seams with corn, green beans, peas, tomatoes, zucchini and the usual convenience foods (i.e., veggie burgers and frozen fish). Thankfully I'm not depending on frozen meals for my lunches these days because I don't have any idea where I'd put them. But if the harvests keep coming I'm still going to have to figure out how to store some of this stuff. (I'm not up for the work of canning this year, but am seriously considering it for next year.)

Anyone have a small chest freezer you want to get rid of?

The haul this week:

  • 2.5 lbs green beans (includes additional half-share)
  • 4 lbs tomatoes (2 medium, 1 large plum, 25 large cherry-type)
  • 1 small yellow squash (0.5 lb)
  • 1 large zucchini (1.25 lb)
  • 1 cucumber (0.35 lb)
  • 1 jalapeno and 1 cayenne pepper
  • 0.5 lbs chard
  • 0.2 oz. Parsley
  • Basil and oregano
I'm hoping to freeze those green beans. I dried all the cherry-type tomatoes and have been working my way through the others with basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Not sure what I'll do with the jalapeno and chili peppers, and I'm getting so sick of chard I probably won't take any next week. (I'd freeze it but there's so little room.) I'm thinking about using the yellow squash and zucchini to try some of Louise's ideas. Being creative isn't exactly easy when you're tight on time, but I'm trying to branch out and experiment a bit more. Bring on the suggestions if you have them.

5 comments:

kat said...

this time of year the CSAs are really bombarding us with produce aren't they?

Angie Ledbetter said...

I have a freezer (it's been on a generator since Gustav blew through!), but sorry, you can't have it. ;) Did you ever think of making a huge arse soup with all those fresh ingredients and freezing individual portions? Yum!

Anonymous said...

Ami- I am terribly jealous of your CSA hauls week after week. I suppose the only good thing is that my freezer is SO small there is no way I could handle all that produce.
As for the zucchini, I made a great stuffed zucchini earlier this summer you may want to try. It would use up some of those tomatoes you have too: http://virginiafoodie.typepad.com/gardenapartment/2008/06/stuffed-zucchini-one-local-summer-week-three.html.

Ami said...

Kat - They sure are! I'm excited to see what's in this week's share. There are rumors of eggplant and cantaloupe. :)

Angie - Glad you weathered the storm OK. Thank goodness for generators! And I have been thinking more about soup for freezing. Space is the only thing holding me back. I'm thinking about stopping by Home Depot to check out their chest freezer selection.

Tiffany - I'm starting to think it's too much for me to handle, too. And I only purchased a half-share. To think I was considering going to a full share next year... I think I remember that stuffed zucchini recipe now that you mention it. Thanks for reminding me of it. I'll check it out.

nicole aka gidget said...

so exciting! I really hope to join a CSA next year (mine were full by time I found out about them!).

Clicky Web Analytics