Thursday, July 01, 2010

*8Things: Simply Summer

Join *8ThingsThis week's *8Things from Magpie Girl is an easy one. Or at least, it should be: List *8Things you must do this summer. Normally, my summers are just like the rest of my year. Maybe there's a little more traveling, but other than that, it's same old, same old. Work, farmers' market, household chores. Nothing new or exciting to mark the summer months as different from the rest of the year. Not in the ways that summer was Summer when I was a kid.

This year, in the wake of a breakup and all that entails, I've decided to make this summer special, to do things I've been afraid to do or have been putting off or giving up for the sake of said relationship. I'm spending my time with people I enjoy being with, doing things I love, things that make me happy and fill me up. So this summer, I'll be stretching myself and making time to do these *8Things.

*8Things: Simply Summer

1. Hang out at the pool. The Ex didn't swim. Therefore, we never spent time near the water. I love the water and this summer, thanks to a friend who works at a swim club, I'll be hanging out by the pool and swimming as much as possible.

2. Go to the beach. I live just a few hours from the ocean, and it calls to me every year, but I rarely make time for the trip (see #1). This year, I've got at least one beach weekend already planned. (Thanks, Mel!)

3. Pick berries. I keep saying that I want to go to a U-pick farm and bring home buckets of berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, any kind of berries), but I always let the summer go by without making a plan. Not this summer.

4. Relax. Summer used to be a time to unwind, to vacation and enjoy a slower pace. I want to feel that again this summer, so I'm minimizing my freelance work load and encouraging myself to enjoy being free of commitments.

5. Be spontaneous. I'm normally a planner, but I like to be spontaneous every now and then. This summer I'm going to do something totally out of character and last minute. No planning allowed.

6. Eat ice cream. Often. 'Nuf said.

7. Wear tank tops as often as possible. If the last few weeks are any indication, it's going to be a hot summer and I'm going to enjoy it with bare arms and shoulders.

8. Wish on stars and dream big. Summers are filled with promise and possibility. I'm going to stay open to whatever the Universe might bring my way and whatever my heart is hoping for.

What's on your Simply Summer list? You can join in on this week's *8Things by grabbing a button from Magpie Girl and writing up your own list, or leave a comment here and let me know how you enjoy the summer months.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about the break-up. I can empathize.

Just don't eat too much ice cream.

Water activities and berry picking sound like good plans.

Steve Atkinson said...

Stop to smell the flowers is an often said expression, but sometimes you just need to take a break and look at what's around you.

Summer is a great time to do it. There is much beauty in the season and we don't have to go far to enjoy it.

Thanks

Ami said...

Cate - Thanks. Don't worry, I won't eat too much ice cream. (Can you really ever eat too much ice cream?) I'm just giving myself permission to eat it whenever I REALLY want it. It's been a while since I've felt free to do that.

Steve - Thanks for the comment. I totally agree. Cliches are cliches for a reason, after all.

Rachelle Mee-Chapman said...

I love "be spontaneous." That has some good heat behind it. Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Clicky Web Analytics