Friday, January 01, 2016

Expanding in 2016

HK 2016 Countdown by Calvin YC is licensed under CC BY 2.0
It’s noon on January 1, 2016 and I’m sitting in the Odyssey with my lap desk crammed between my belly and the steering wheel, working on my first blog post in who knows how long while the Jellybean snores quietly behind me. 

I don’t even dare look at the date on my last post for fear I’ll start beating myself up for my lack of consistency, my lack of focus, my lack of commitment, my inability to use my time wisely. Frankly, all that beating takes too much time and energy.

So I’m sitting here. Writing. Even though there are a million other things I could be doing. Even though I'm worried no one is reading anymore. Even though I'm SO tired and would like to close my eyes and start snoring quietly, too.

It’s hard to keep coming back to the blank page, but this year I’m doing it. I’m making my creative pursuits a priority. I'm done making excuses and I'm ready to be the writer I keep saying I am.

With that in mind, my word for 2016--my mantra, if you will--is EXPAND. This year I will:

Expand my boarders. 
I’ll push through the walls I’ve built out of fear and pursue the dreams I’ve been forming in my mind. I’ll find growth in choosing to see boarders as flexible and transparent.

Expand my creativity. 
I’ll write, take pictures, color in coloring books, read, visit art museums and learn from other artists. And I’ll learn from my children as they revel in their own creativity before anyone tells them to be grown and serious.

Expand my vision. 
I’ll dream bigger and let my imagination run wild. I’ll write down goals, create vision boards and live with my eyes wide open, looking for opportunities to take more chances and make more space for successes.

Expand my yoga practice. 
I’ll get on my mat and I’ll sit in stillness. I’ll be present and I’ll share my heart with my family, my friends and with new acquaintances.


Now that I’ve shared a bit about my goals for 2016, I’d love to hear what your goals are for the year. What is your word for 2016? What will you do to make this year your best year yet?

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics