Thursday, October 16, 2008

CSA Report - My First Disappointment

It's been a very busy week, so this report will be short. Suffice it to say that I was disappointed for the first time in my CSA experience. It turns out that half-shares didn't get pumpkins. I was so looking forward to carving my pumpkin straight from the farm, and now I'll have to buy one at the market instead. It's not really a big deal, just a little disappointing. That's the risk I take investing in a farm though. The good news is, I got an eggplant and those full-shares didn't.

This week's share:

  • 1 lbs green tomatoes
  • 1 eggplant
  • 1 head bak choy
  • 0.5 lb chard
  • 0.75 lb Russian kale
  • 3 cayenne peppers, 4 Thai peppers, 1 Chinese lantern pepper
  • 0.5 oz. cilantro
  • 1/2 pint red raspberries (u-pick, which I passed on again this week because I was in a hurry)
Things are slowing down a bit, but I've still got enough with the staples I picked up at the farmer's market (onions, potatoes, a few peppers) for some green tomato salsa, roasted eggplant, and a good Asian stir-fry. I'll probably try something new with the kale (maybe a crock pot dish). I'm still working my way through the butternut and Delicata squash, too. I'm certainly not wanting for food, even if I have to get creative with it.

4 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Nice to have all the fresh goodies at hand, but sorry 'bout the pumpkin. You are like a shareholder in the local farmer's market?

Ami said...

Angie - Yes, I joined a Community Supported Agriculture program at a local organic farm. I invest money during the winter/spring and then receive a share of the produce throughout the harvesting season. You share the risks (bad weather, etc.) but also the rewards (fresh, organic produce). I highly recommend it if you have the option in your area. You can find local CSA programs at localharvest.org.

Anonymous said...

I'd be disappointed about the pumpkins too! I love pumpkins, and there are so many great recipes using them.
What exactly is Russian kale? Is it much different from regular kale? I'm intrigued.

Ami said...

Tiffany - As far as I can tell, the only difference is that Russian kale leaves have more ruffles.

Clicky Web Analytics