Saturday, June 23, 2007

Sunday Scribblings: Secrets, Secrets, Secrets

I recently discovered sognatrice's bleeding espresso, although I can't quite remember how, and through her I discovered something called Sunday Scribblings. In preparation for my 14-Day Kick-in-the-Booty Writing Challenge, I thought I might jump onto the SS band-wagon. I can use a prompt every now and then, and the more writing goals I have, the more successful I'll be at writing. Every. Single. Day. For fourteen days straight (and then, hopefully, every day after that, too). So for my first Sunday Scribble, I have a secret. (Please disregard the fact that today is, in all actuality, Monday. Look, I haven't started the challenge yet, OK?)





Prompt #65: I have a secret...


I'm dying to talk about some things that are going on in my life, but for now, I have to keep it quiet. Suffice it to say that opportunities are opening up for me in some different areas and I'm excited to see how things play out. In the mean time, I'm doing my best to be prepared when things start moving forward full tilt. That means a lot of writing, reading, learning and preparation.

Through all of this, I've learned something interesting about myself. When I don't have any deadlines or objectives looming on the immediate horizon, I find myself being lazy and getting discouraged. It's just the opposite when I know (or expect) that I'm about to become completely overwhelmed. When I anticipate being busy, I always feel more motivated to get things done. I jot ideas, write queries and take on new projects. I get excited about the prospect of being so busy I don't have time to eat or sleep. (Yeah, right! As if I'd ever go without food or sleep, but you get the idea.)

Strange how it works that way. You'd think it would be just the opposite. If only I could find a way to bottle the "productive mode" so I can take a sip when I start to slack off. For now I guess I'll have to take advantage of this motivation and energy when it comes along. So today I'm acting on that creativity that's stirring up instead of sitting on it. Of course, next month, who knows.

1 comment:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I have the same work process, and it's just as mysterious to me. Thanks for the link love btw :)

Clicky Web Analytics