Monday, November 05, 2007

An Update and Some Product Reviews

I spent three hours at B&N writing along with another Wrimo tonight and I have 3,134 new words to show for it. Woohoo! That's a grand total of 11,796 words. Um, Eleven. Thousand. People!

You know what's really cool about all this? I feel like I've taken the "have-to" out of writing. There's no "have to do it right," "have to do it perfectly," or "have to make it good." There's just doing it. And it's so much fun!

Now for some non-NaNoWriMo topics to spice things up a bit.





Creative Expressions


If you remember, a while back I suggested you check out the Inspired by Diabetes Creative Expressions Competition. Well now you have even more reason to check out the campaign and enter the competition. Elliot Yamin, best known for his third-place finish during the fifth season of American Idol, has signed on as the Global Ambassador for the competition. (Oh yeah, and Al Roker, too.) At 16, Elliot was diagnosed with Type I diabetes and has since been speaking publicly about diabetes treatment and prevention. I know you're all ready to run to the site and sign up now, but wait! There's more!

Not only will Elliot serve as a judge for U.S. entries in the competition, but in addition to the original prize of a $5,000 contribution to charity and a trip the U.S. Inspired by Diabetes art exhibition, Elliot has also donated concert tickets and backstage passes for the U.S. Grand Prize winners. (Global winners will still each receive a $5,000 contribution to charity and a trip the global Inspired by Diabetes art exhibition.) Now get over to Inspired by Diabetes and enter your diabetes story today!





Curves Cereal and Granola Bars


You've probably seen them on the shelves in your local grocery store by now, but in case you live under a rock and haven't seen the excited women jumping for joy on their boxes, Curves now has a line of cereal and granola bars. I wasn't impressed by their advertisements, or even their peppy boxes--if you ask me, the last thing we need is another diet-sponsored product, but who am I to turn down free samples.

My box of Curves Honey Crunch Cereal was the first to be devoured. I'm a cereal girl, and I'm not super picky, but my cereals have to be crunchy. Honey Crunch was certainly that. They were a little sweeter than I generally like (sweet cereals tend to trigger carb binges for me), so I doubt I'd buy them on my own. But if you like sweet and crunchy, with lots of fiber, this cereal is for you.

The Curves Chocolate Peanut chewy granola bars were next in line. I'm not much of a chewy granola bar eater, and these were nothing new. There are so many other chewy granola bars on the shelves, and these don't really bring anything new to the table. They were tasty, don't get me wrong, but they weren't anything special. I might get them as a treat if they were on sale--at only 100 calories they make a nice candy bar substitute--but they won't be regulars on my grocery list.

For more information on the Curves products, check out Curves Foods. You can also enter their Real Change, Real Women contest, created to promote positive lifestyle changes and encourage women to reach their weight management goals. The Grand Prize is a free one-year membership to a local Curves (worth $5000) and the chance to be on a Curves box. So if you've got a personal story about weight loss and management, why not enter? You just might get to see your jumpin' self on a cereal box if you do!

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics