Saturday, November 01, 2008

NaBloPoMo - Putting the Fun Back in Blogging (I hope)

More than a month ago I convinced myself that November was not going to be a novel writing month for me. As much as I wanted to join in on the NaNoWriMo fun, I knew it wouldn't be a smart move. Last year was fun, but it took all of my spare time and I got nothing done except writing. Dirty laundry and dishes, an empty refrigerator, frozen dinners and take-out, no exercise and absolutely no holiday preparations were par for the course. I couldn't handle that this year, with a book proposal due in January, blogs to write for, articles to pitch and a waistline to rein in, writing 50,000 words is just not in the cards for me this year.

And then I woke up in a stupor at the NaBloPoMo website, having just signed up and sent off an email requesting to join in on the month-long quest to write a blog post every day. Every. Single. Day.

You regulars know that lately I've been having difficulty getting up a post a week, much less a post every day. The only thing she can write about lately is her CSA and what meals she's cooking, you're thinking. This ought to be interesting, right? But the thought of posting every day reminds me of my early blogging days, when I was always looking for a topic to blog about and found myself typing furiously on my lunch break about some mundane, extremely funny, or oh-so-serious topic or another. Because I just HAD to. Because I wanted to write. Because it felt good to share the little things in my life with the internet universe. Because it was new and exciting and FUN.

I want to feel that again. And if the excitement and motivation that I felt last year during NaNoWriMo is any indication of what a month of regular writing can do? NaBloPoMo will be just what I need to get those words flowing again.

Here's to a month of blog posts. I can't promise they'll be good, or interesting, or even very long, but I'll be here every day. And I hope you will, too.

5 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

I'll be here! Dividing my days of the week into topics has helped me feel organized. Good luck!

nejyerf said...

i'm doing it as well.

i was all set to do it last year and then ifelldownthestairsandbrokemyleg and NaBloPoMo went straight out the window.

i'm also going to try harder to comment on the blogs i read faithfully.

which means you should be seeing a lot more of me!

Ami said...

Angie - That's a good idea. I might give it a try. :)

nejyerf - I remember the accident and the ramifications. Glad you'll be doing it this year! And I'm looking forward to seeing more of you around here. I've missed you!

KingdomWriter said...

I must admit that I enjoy peoples random everyday-life blogs, sometimes more than the ones discussing the 'BIG PICTURE' etc, so it sounds like I will have plenty to read during this 'blog a day' experience. You go for it!
Myself I am doing NaNo, which is ludicrous really considering I have two half marathons within two weeks of each other, work saturdays, and am taking my husband away for his birthday. But if there is a will, right...?

Ami said...

KingdomWriter - Good luck with NaNo! I loved doing it last year, even though I was really busy. You're right, where there's a will there's a way. Despite all that was going on last year, I managed to get in almost 40,000 words. That's quite the feat considering my typical word count in a month. I'm sure you'll do great. The camaraderie and challenge of it makes it exciting! And I'm regretting not joining in on the fun this year. :(

Clicky Web Analytics