Sunday, June 14, 2009

OLS Week 2 - A Childhood Stand-by

I didn't plan well for this week's local meal, so my farmer's market trip this morning was focused on finding something quick and easy I could make for a local lunch today. When I saw the new potatoes, I immediately had an idea. One of may favorite meals as a child was one that my mother would make when there wasn't much in the refrigerator or she didn't have the time and energy for a more elaborate meal: a fried egg over fried sliced potatoes (usually from a can).

To mimic this meal with local ingredients, I thinly sliced a couple new potatoes and fried them in a bit of (non-local) olive oil with a chopped scallion and a chopped garlic scape. Then I fried a fresh egg and placed it over the bed of potatoes. When the yoke breaks, the potatoes soak it up. Easy and delicious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple meals often ring the truest for me. Potatoes, garlic, onion is just plain goodness. I bet it'd also be great with roasted potatoes either in slices or even cubed.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Yummers! Fresh green beans cooked down with garlic, onions, olive oil and new potatoes is good too.

Clicky Web Analytics