Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #5

I went to a meeting for a local writer's association last night. This is not something I'd normally do for a number of reasons, some of which are: 1) I'm awkward in situations where I have to make small talk with people I've never met before; 2) I break into cold sweats in such situations; 3) I have a deep-seated belief that I have to be liked by everyone, and inevitably I get an "I don't like you" vibe from someone in said new group. So, just in case I needed an out, or someone to talk to during awkward moments of silence, I called up a friend and convinced her to come with me. Below are the reasons I'm glad I have good friends who will help me step out of my comfort zone when I'm stuck in the quick-sand I like to call fear.



Thirteen Reasons I'm Glad I Stepped Out of My Comfort Zone (Thanks, Jess!)

1. I got to eat brie and fruit for dinner.

2. I got eat this dinner at a really cool cafe'/bar in one of my favorite parts of the city.

3. I met some really nice people who also happen to write.

4. These people are also really excited about writing, which makes me excited about writing.

5. It just so happened to be Open Mic night, so I got to hear these writers read some really great writing.

6. Listening to other people's stories was inspiring and motivating.

7. Hearing other writers talk about their successes gave me hope that a successful writing career really is an attainable goal.

8. I found a community of writers that I can be a part of.

9. These writers are encouraging and supporting of other writers.

10. There was a sense of mentorship among them that I've never experienced in a group of writers before.

11. I didn't feel like I'd have to compete with these people (although I'm sure after a few meetings I'd find myself doing it subconsciously anyway).

12. I got to talk about books and writing for hours without boring my non-writer and non-reader friends.

13. I realized that fear is no reason to stay home when you want to get out and get involved.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's brie? sorry...i haven't heard this before,hehehe! nice list! happy TT!

Lori said...

Very cool...sometimes we need to step out of the comfort zone and just have fun.

Mitchypoo said...

I know the feeling of hibernating and it is good to get out. Happy TT!
http://mitchypoo777.blogspot.com

Chelle Y. said...

It's always nice to take risks sometimes.

Great TT.

www.chelleyoung.com

Clicky Web Analytics