Monday, May 19, 2008

Weekend Recap

While I didn't get nearly as much rest as I had hoped or nearly as much done as I'd planned, I spent my weekend:

  • Gabbing with the girls and learning how to scrapbook. Did you know there are machines out there that cut letters in fancy fonts??? And other machines that can make those letters sticky so you don't have to try and get tiny corners with the glue stick? I also discovered that there are people out there who make scrapbook pages that could be considered art. I'm talking creative, artistic, made-with-passion, A.R.T.
  • Catching up with an old friend. There are a lot of people I miss from past seasons in my life and this person is one of them. I'm glad we got to talk over breakfast about everything from God to babies to visions for a better city and how to make them happen. Hanging out with people like this always makes me hungry to do more.
  • At Ikea. My entire afternoon on Saturday was spent browsing and mentally decorating while I meandered through Ikea's showrooms. I got a new area rug and runner/throw rug for my living room, along with a couple of odds and ends. I would have come home with a new chair, too, if I had thought I could fit it into my tiny car and haul it into my house alone...Looks like My Love will have to go with me next time.
  • Redecorating. Sort of. All I really did was put down the new rugs, move my hand-me-down love seats a few inches and shift a table and a plant, but the difference really is amazing. Next step: hang that mirror I bought a few weeks ago and those framed photos I've been meaning to put up since I moved in. Almost a year and a half ago.
  • Clearing the clutter. With the new living room arrangement, I couldn't stand the clutter I'd let build up over the last few weeks of frenzy and laziness. So I cleared, filed, shredded and put away much of the stuff that's been hanging around my coffee table and other surfaces. This also let to a bedroom purge. Since I painted my office, I've had boxes of stuff in my bedroom that I needed to sort through and/or get rid of. I cleared out a lot of it, made a Freecycle pile and put away what I plan to keep.
  • Closet shifting. While I was at it, I moved my sweaters out of my main closet and hung my spring and summer stuff in their place. I also marked several handbags and a few pieces of clothing for that Freecycle pile. In the process, I realized that a few things I'd been avoiding because of weight gain fit me again!
  • Cooking. I got my first fruits--asparagus--of the CSA on Saturday and made a trip to the Farmer's Market on Sunday. The pickings are still a little slim, but I found plenty of salad greens and made a great salad. I steamed some asparagus and made black beans and rice, and jerk turkey burgers for dinner. It was delish and I'm looking forward to eating leftovers this week.
  • Practicing for the reading. The essay I'm reading is about self-image and weight and I'm starting to get nervous about reading it in front of a bunch of strangers and semi-strangers. But in the process of reading it essay out loud for practice, I think I made some edits that create a much stronger piece than before. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Hanging out with My Love. He had to work most of the weekend, but we got to spend a few hours together Sunday night.
I also did the usual laundry and cleaning routine. I did not mow my lawn or buy seedlings to plant because I knew I wouldn't have time to get to them this week. Is it just me or does it seem that just when you think you've caught up, there's a long list of things that need to be done again?

What did you do this weekend?

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics