Wednesday, August 20, 2008

CSA Report - The Green Beans Have Arrived

I know that you were paying very close attention to my CSA report last week and you're thinking, "But there were green beans in last week's share. Is she losing her memory or what?" And since I know you're uber-concerned about this, I'll tell you that I do remember that 1.5 lbs of green beans from last week. I remember because I just finally got around to cooking them and making green bean and feta salad out of them tonight. After picking up six (yes, S.I.X.) lbs of green beans this week. What in the world will a single gal do with 6 lbs. of green beans, you ask? Why freeze them, of course. Admit it, you'll be jealous in January when I'm eating green beans from my CSA and you're buying Green Giant beans in a can.

Anyway, on to the report:

  • 6 lbs green beans (includes additional half-share)
  • 2 lbs chard (includes additional full-share)
  • 2 medium tomatoes and about 10 large grape-type tomatoes (2.25 lb)
  • 1 small and 1 large head garlic (includes additional full-share)
  • 2 small zucchini (1.5 lb)
  • 1 small yellow squash (.5 lb)
  • 1 medium cucumber (1 lb)
  • abt. 4 large stems basil
  • 2 sprigs oregano
  • 1 sprig sage
  • 2 sprigs mint
If anyone has any suggestions for using sage, I'd love to have them. I dried some of it to save for stuffings and the like in the fall, but I don't know what to do with fresh sage.

I'm looking forward to making a sauce or maybe a soup with my zucchini, squash, tomatoes, basil, and oregano, but if you can think of other recipes or dishes that I can use these foods in, I'm definitely looking for ways to change things up. I tend to get into a rut and make the same dishes over and over again, but I can't afford to get sick of these veggies. There are a lot more of them where these came from.

2 comments:

hmd said...

Sage is great in tea. I use equal parts sage and mint in mine.

As far as the veggies...the other thing that comes to mind is roasted veggie sandwiches - roast slices of squash and zucchini in the oven at about 350 degrees for 30 minutes (turning them over once halfway through) and serve them on rolls (maybe with some cheese) and a leaf or two of basil. Yum! Then again, the soup sounds good too!

Enjoy!

Ami said...

Heather - Roasted veggie sandwiches sound delicious, and right up my alley! Good idea!

Clicky Web Analytics