Monday, February 01, 2010

Recipe: Black Bean Chili with a Kick

One of my 101 Things involves choosing and preparing slow cooker meals. An advantage to the slow cooker is that during the week I can do all my prep the evening before and then toss everything together before I head to work in the morning. Or if I'm expecting a busy week, I can put something together over the weekend that will feed me all week long.

I started my slow cooker adventures with that Chipotle Chili I loved so much, and this weekend, I tried another chili that used up things I had in my refrigerator and pantry. It was easy and tasty, and totally vegetarian. I'm looking forward to trying something other than chili in the coming weeks. I've flagged several recipes that look interesting and I'll be sure to post the results as I prepare them.

Spicy Black Bean Chili
(Adapted from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker)

Ingredients

1 TBSP olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
2 TBSP chili powder (or more to taste)
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
2 15.5-oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup vegetable (or other) stock
1 4-oz can diced green chiles
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1. In a large skillet, warm oil over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, celery, and garlic and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder and stir until well combined.

2. Transfer the vegetables to the slow cooker (4- to 6-quart). Add the remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Stir to mix well. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

This chili came out thick and flavorful after about 7 hours in the slow cooker. I served it with a little shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream on top and had corn bread muffins on the side.

3 comments:

Kerri O said...

That sounds really yummy, will definitely try.

Unknown said...

I love beans of all kinds, but especially black beans. I put them in my chili, too! Are you vegetarian? I am leaning that way, but with little ones it's impossible for now. So I do add ground turkey to my chili....

Ami said...

Kat - Try it! It's so good!

Erin - If you wanted to try a veg chili, you could double the beans and leave out the turkey. That might give it enough "heft" for your husband and the kids.

Clicky Web Analytics