Thursday, July 24, 2008

OLS Week 8 - Potatoes, Chard and Tomatoes, Oh My

One Local SummerBefore I go any further, I have a confession to make. I skipped OLS last week (Week 7 for those keeping track) out of pure and utter laziness. I had plenty of local food in my refrigerator, but little time or energy to get creative and make a meal. So while I ate a lot of local stuff, I never managed to get a full meal out of it.

This week, I decided to use up a good deal of the pound and a half of swiss chard I got from the CSA (thanks, person who didn't want any) and some really ripe (and therefore discounted) tomatoes I picked up at a local farm stand. I sauteed the chard in olive oil with chopped onion and garlic, then added two chopped tomatoes and a bit of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. When the chard was wilted and the tomatoes were warm I tossed in a bit of fresh oregano and basil. The result was delicious and I ate it over non-local rice last night. But for lunch today I had it over a couple of baby white potatoes left over from last week's CSA share.

Last night I also made a wonderful tomato and scallion salad reminiscent of the tomato and onion salad I made a while back. It was very simple--just chopped tomatoes, chopped scallion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, salt and pepper--and oh-so-good. Especially today for lunch with my chard-and-tomato topped potato. An easy and local meal at my desk. (Local except for the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, that is.)

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Hi Ami, Just found your blog and enjoyed browsing around. Esp liked the post on the kitten...any updates? Keep on writing!

Ami said...

Hi Joanne. Thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed it. Since so many people want to know about the kitten, I'll be posting an update soon.

Clicky Web Analytics