Sunday, July 13, 2008

OLS Week 6 - Meal in a Scramble

One Local SummerIt occurred to me today that I hadn't managed to eat a single completely local meal all week. So much for "getting a bit easier with each week." You can't eat locally without thinking about it, apparently. So this morning, I quickly did a bit of a copy-cat meal and made up a kale and onion frittata with new potato homefries. Relatively easy and I used up some of the leftovers from the week.

Despite the fact that I hadn't eaten a completely local meal all week, I did eat a number of local side-dishes and used mostly local ingredients in everything I ate. There was plenty of basil and parsley from my tiny little garden. From the farmer's market I had:

  • zucchini and squashFresh from the Farmer's Market
  • onions
  • tomatoes
  • freshly baked rolls
  • red new potatoes
  • apricots
  • white peaches
  • Bing cherries
  • Swiss chard
And from the CSA:Fresh from My CSA
  • kale (left over from the previous week)
  • 2 small heads garlic
  • 1 lg. bunch scallions
  • 1 lb. red new potatoes
  • 1 head of lettuce
Week 7 probably won't be much better on the meal development side. I'm heading out of town at the end of the week and have a lot of work to do before then, so I'm not sure if I'll get in a local meal, but I'm going to try. I skipped the farmer's market today because I didn't want to end up with a bunch of food I wouldn't eat before I left. I've still got veggies from the CSA pickup last Tuesday and I'll be getting more in two days, so there was no sense in buying additional stuff at the farmer's market. I did stop by a produce stand to get a few tomatoes for the week, but other than that the goal is to use up what's already in my refrigerator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, are you sick of kale yet?????

Ami said...

Betsy - Am I ever! And it turns out we'll be getting more later in the season. So lucky!!! :p

Clicky Web Analytics