Friday, July 24, 2009

CSA Report - Week 7

Last weekend we had a potluck on the farm and I met some fellow CSA members. We took a tour of the farm and learned why things have been a little slow to produce and what to expect in the near future. We're talking floods of tomatoes, beans, chard and more!

This week's share included:

  • 2 lbs red potatoes
  • 1 head of garlic
  • a large bunch of chard
I'm so excited to have more potatoes because I made the most flavorful potato salad I've ever had and I can't wait to make more! Give it a try and see why I'm so excited about it.

Potato and Green Bean Salad

Ingredients:

1 1/2 - 2 lbs red potatoes, scrubbed and diced
3 cups green beans, rinsed, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces (I used yellow beans)
3 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp honey
2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Add the potatoes to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until almost fork tender. Add beans and cook another 4 to 5 minutes, until beans are bright green and potatoes are cooked through. (You can also steam beans separately while potatoes cook, which is what I did.) Drain potatoes and beans and set aside to cool.

To make the dressing, whisk mustard, honey and vinegar in a large bowl with a cover. When potatoes and beans are room temperature, add to the dressing along with the parsley and egg. Tightly cover and toss until everything is coated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

*I actually served the salad at room temperature, but it would probably be great after a few hours in the refrigerator, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Potatoes and green beans seem like a natural pairing, even though I've heard some people think its odd. I often make them spiced, with the potatoes roasted first, then cooked the rest of the way on the stovetop with the green beans and turmeric, cayanne, and a bit of cumin and mint.
I don't eat eggs, but even without that, your recipe sounds great. Plus, the fact that it can be served at any temp makes it that much better for gatherings or busy nights - or even lunches - when its hard to know when it will be eaten.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what chard is. Is it a type of lettuce?

Ami said...

livinginalocalzone - I think you're right about potatoes and beans. I remember as a kid one of my favorite meals was potatoes and beans cooked in milk with bacon. If I was eating meat these days, I would totally make some!

Reluctant - Chard is a green like kale only more tender and a bit less bitter. It's delicious if you cook it right. Here's a link to a picture and a recipe I really like. Give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try this salad. Just got beans at my farmer's market. We are rural; no CSA around here. My daughter belongs to one in Philly. Thanks for the recipe!

Clicky Web Analytics