Saturday, June 21, 2008

OLS Week 3 - Balsamic Chard and Zucchini

One Local Summer
For my third week of One Local Summer, I made a mostly local meal, taking advantage of the variety of vegetables I picked up at the farmer's market last weekend and got in my CSA share for the week. The only ingredients that weren't local were olive oil, salt and pepper, and balsamic vinegar, as well as the wild rice I served the vegetables over. In addition to the Balsamic Chard and Zucchini dish I concocted based this dish on a few recipes I found on allrecipes.com, as well as my favorite Swiss chard dish from last year, I steamed some sugar snap peas and drizzled them with olive oil. All-in-all, it was a pretty filling meal considering there wasn't any meat or other significant protein source in it.

Balsamic Chard and ZucchiniBalsamic Chard and Zucchini
Makes 2-4 servings.

Ingredients:

1/2 TBSP olive oil
1 large bunch of rainbow chard (about 15 stems), leaves separated from stems, stems chopped into 1/2 inch pieces, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
1 spring onion, white and green parts diced
1 garlic scape, chopped (or 1 medium garlic clove, minced)
1 radish, halved and thinly sliced
1 small yellow zucchini, quartered and sliced (abt. 1/4 inch thick)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the chard stems, onion, garlic, radish and zucchini. Cook until stems are tender but still firm. Add the chard leaves, vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper. Cover and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the leaves are wilted. Top with basil and serve on its own or over rice.

Give it a try. I think you'll like it. I know I did!

3 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

I read the interview with P on her site - what a thoughtful, well-done interview that shows our friend P's intelligence, wit, and audacity....I met P in person (I feel as if I'm going Pah Pah Pah) anyway, P in Person personifies pretty and perfectly perportioned perspective of (stop it Kat, stop it now...make me stop, please...)

anyway - she is wonderful and i'll always remember how she came to my mountain, exhausted from her trip, and actually stayed to watch me rehearse in my first time (maybe only time) on stage in Bat Boy -despite the late hour, and despite how awful we were - she stayed - until late. How can you now love someone for that?

Here's to Patresa Hartman - a gifted gifted writer who should be published widely and lot'sly

patresa hartman said...

sweet mary. i just came to comment that i have never known what to do with chard. (chards?) i'm not sure i would even know what they looked like if they weren't very very closely labeled.

also, is it okay that i posted your interview on my website? maybe i should have asked first? crap. i take and take.

Ami said...

kathryn - Thanks for stopping by to say hello. I have to agree that P is a pleasant and pretty perfect person. Here's to P!

P - Chard is really great sautéed. It can be bitter, though, so I always add a little lemon juice or vinegar to cut the bitterness. I'll have to take a picture of it before I prepare next time so you'll know what to look for. I like the rainbow variety because the stems are colorful. Ask for it at the farmer's market. I'm sure someone will have it. :)

Clicky Web Analytics